Sunday, September 25

2 Nephi 9:19

Today in my old scripture bag I found a picture that I had drawn when I was nine. I don't know why I still have it, definitely not sentimental reasons...Anyway, it was a picture of Satan - a very scary picture of Satan. He had horns and awful teeth, really they were so creepy, and instead of legs he had this red tornado torso, like some demonic mermaid. When I saw this, I was a bit disturbed, wondering what could have possibly have compelled me to draw such a frightening image as a young, innocent primary goer. And then I was thinking, Satan is terrifying. Granted, he doesn't look like a demonic mermaid, but that just makes him more ominous and dreadful; to think that he is probably devishly handsome and incredibly charismatic. I mean he wouldn't be tempting if he was a rabid looking mermaid, right? He knows us so well. He understands our weaknesses and takes advantage of them, ultimately seeking our destruction. What a poor, unfortunate soul he must be. Then, I began my daily reading in chapter nine. 



19 O the greatness of the mercy of our God, the Holy One of Israel! For he adelivereth his saints from that bawful monster the devil, and death, and chell, and that lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment.



True, Satan is a very wicked and scary man. However, in this verse we are promised deliverance from him, deliverance from his power over us. What a beautiful promise. I know I will sleep better tonight, knowing that the devil in my picture has no power over me, and knowing that I will not be forced to lead a life of "endless torment."

1 comment: